Wait! Put that down! Do not buy that Hawaii souvenir you’ve been eyeing all week at your hotel’s gift shop. Here’s why: You’ll score a better deal on the same item at the Aloha Stadium Swap Meet & Marketplace, a major stop on the Waikiki Trolley Purple Line.
A haven for bargain-hunters, the Aloha Stadium Swap Meet only happens on Wednesdays and Saturdays from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m., and on Sundays from 6:30 a.m. to 3 p.m.
You’ll find everything under the sun – from Hawaii kitsch and collectibles, to muumuus and music, to original crafts by local artists. In fact, the outdoor extravaganza has grown to more than 400 different vendors since its inception in 1979.
When you’re ready to break from shopping, grab a quick snack or a hearty meal: A shave ice drizzled in syrup; a fresh-baked sweet roll; a plate lunch with two scoops of rice and a thick slab of meat; whatever your palate desires.
Before visiting the Aloha Stadium Swap Meet & Marketplace, consider these tips:
• Carry various amounts of cash for convenience (some vendors accept credit cards).
• Bring a foldable tote bag to carry your purchases.
• Slather on plenty of sunscreen.
• Bring a hat and sunglasses to ward off the Hawaiian heat.
ALOHA STADIUM SWAP MEET
- Hours: 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Wednesdays and Saturdays; and 6:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Sundays
- Address: 99-500 Salt Lake Blvd., Honolulu, Hawaii 96818
- Phone: 808-486-6704
- Web: http://alohastadium.hawaii.gov/tickets-programs/aloha-stadium-swap-meet-marketplace/
- Transportation: Ride the Waikiki Trolley Purple Line and get off at Aloha Stadium (Stop No. 5)